SITTING ON A CORNFLAKE WAITING FOR THE VAN TO COME.

 

Fishermen hauling in their nets. Kerala. Southern India.


Asleep on the Coronation bench. Cochin. Southern India.


Once again, rain, drizzle, lockdown and boredom drag me towards my USB memory sticks. This one, ten years old, contained about 400 snaps of a month that Julia and I spent in Sri Lanka and Southern India. Holiday of a lifetime? Well, it was to us.


Roadside cafe outside Colombo. Sri Lanka.

Buddhist monks. Pinnawala Elephant orphanage. Sri Lanka.


It was an early 60th birthday present from Julia and we’d both love to go back. A Flight from Glasgow to Heathrow and onward to Colombo. A week of guided tours and then 2 weeks in a swish hotel in Kalutara. Back to the airport and off to some airport in Kerala. We landed in India on the 10th February, Ian Blackman’s birthday and exactly 87 years after my father’s birth in Calcutta. I wish he’d kept his father’s photos of life on the North West Frontier in the 20’s and not bundled them into a suitcase and burnt them!


Weekly washing. Kerala. Southern India.

Lime seller. Kalutara, Sri Lanka.


None of my 400 snaps, all taken on a Canon G10 had been edited so I picked A handful. Now they have. The rest can stay in their Virgin state somewhere in a memory stick.


Fish market stall. Galle. Sri Lanka.

Market Stall, Kalutara South, Sri Lanka.


Anyway, looking through the pictures took me longer than I thought. Lion Rock, Sigiriya village. Signs telling you to keep your windows closed or the monkeys will nick your valuables. It brought back so many memories of wonderful people, superb food and colours that were wonderfully vibrant.


Cycle repair shop. Sigiriya. Sri Lanka



Maybe one day we’ll return. Unlikely in the present climate. Unlikely at my present age and unlikely on my current pension but really? No, it wouldn’t be the same.


Elephant working. Kerala. Southern India.


Comments