I've seen fire and I've seen rain.

 

Manorbier beach


As the lockdown incarceration rules are eased here in the Western Colonies, us Taffs find that “Stay in your bloody house” rule in has been replaced with “Piss-off but don’t go too far” rule.


Coastal Path

Moi bien. Our “stay local” rule is exactly what it says. Mark Dickford himself decreed that we should use our common sense, whatever that is. What it has meant though is that the area of Julia’s internet search into the purchase of the perfect coat has now been increased to include Norway, Denmark and Sweden.


Manorbier Castle

The criteria? Well, it must be at least 90% waterproof, 90% wind proof (don’t ask!) 90% breathable and 100% not produced by people who live on a bowl of rice a day.


King’s quoit. Manorbier.

Quite often, in an unguarded moment, lying there in bed with only a 32 kilo Wiemeranar between us, I will get a nudge and a call and as she turns her IPad screen towards me, I adjust my glasses and focus.


“Look! How about this one?”


Caldey Island.

I drag my attention from the latest YouTube lesson on how to install back button focus on my Olympus Pen F and glance at her screen. Once again, the price is (like me) under her thumb.


Tenby

Mainly green, mainly an “over the head” type anorak style and mainly with a draw-cord at the waist. I immediately think of Rambo in his first film dressed in nothing but a plastic fertiliser bag. Unkind! “That’s lovely dear. You’ll look like.....” I say Julia Bradbury but think Ray Mears. That was close!!


Gulls.

“Well, I only want it for taking the dog for a walk so it doesn’t matter what it looks like.”


Perhaps, in that case the old fertiliser bag is a pretty cost effective alternative. One that would almost allow for the purchase of a 60mm macro lens from those nice Jessop people. I keep that bit to myself as well and pray that my thoughts aren’t too obvious. 

Tenby bandstand.

“And I can wear it when I’m doing the Coastal Path.”  Well, the British army are going to love that as you skirt around the back of their Castlemartin firing range dressed in a mainly green almost camo smock. 


The walkers.

And now to matters medical. 


It’s that time of year again when the NHS for all their troubles and overworked nurses invite us “older” gentlemen to play poo sticks with them. How things have moved on. No longer do they use lolly sticks. Now a clever sort of mascara brush thing in a twist lock plastic container arrived in a plain brown envelope. For once my little eco friendly brain registers delight that this is hopefully a “single use” item of plastic. Then (job done so to speak) into town and over the bridge to my favourite Pembrokeshire Post Office in Neyland. No over zealous coppers to deal with today. The staff in the office are  getting used to me now!


Surfers 2019

I wave my obvious purple, oh-look-at-me-I’ve-done-my-poo-sample-already envelope at the girl behind the counter with a cheery “Can I post this please?”


 She looks across the counter with a sort of Please-stop-waving-it-around look. “Do you want a first class stamp or a second class stamp?”


“Do you do a turd class?”


Tenby

Oh well, that’s another post office I’ve been barred from. Any more and I’ll have to travel to Ceredigion.


Manorbier


“Excuse me sir. Can you tell me why you’re using the Tregaron post office when the closest Post Office to where you live is in Pembroke Dock?”


“Yes.”........


Tenby




Comments